Adding raw appeal to your wardrobe is a great way to show off your personal style and create something unique. Your relationship with the denim becomes less about washing and more about the journey to becoming vintage. All the whiskers and honey combs will have a story of their own. How they get there is up to you, and the experiences you have making this road map may be the best reason to wear raw denim.
So, If you're just getting into it and are considering your first pair, let’s explore some factors that you should definitely consider as first-time raw denim buyer.
- Decide on a style that best compliments YOU so that you’ll want to wear them often. My favorite pair is the Marc Japanese Selvedge because its a slim fit and it fits me best and I love the weight of the denim. I can wear it year round.
- What about sizing? Forget what others say and size down instead. The tighter fit makes it easier to create outlandish creases, especially honeycombs.
- If you didn’t size down, you can still achieve a tighter fit by soaking them in hot water for a few hours, then carefully hang to dry prior to your first wear.
- Can you handle six months without washing? You should wait at least this long before washing with soap and water. It sounds daunting at first, but after a few weeks, you will discover how easy it is to unlearn when to do laundry! (For more info on washing, read our last blog “Marc’s Guide to raw denim Care”.)
- Want holes? Save yourself from scrapes and re-create those holes like they were meant to be there. Here’s a fun and original way to get that vintage detail: stone washing. Use rocks to brushstroke natural wear and tear into the denim. You can speed up creases and fades too by giving it a good rub. Once it frays, start picking on the loose threads to form holes of any size.
Stay Raw Denim Heads,